Monday, January 30, 2012

Sweet Snack Sunday ~ Sweetheart Trail Mix and Streusel Mini Muffins


My hubby has a new job that requires him to take his lunch to work with him.

  He’s been a trooper about eating leftovers and cold food, something I despise.  Even though I am a pretty bad cook, I decided that each week, I want to make a little homemade snack to pack in his lunches.  Every Sunday, I’ll find a new recipe for something fun and kind of healthy (that also makes five portions: one for each day) and if it works out, I’ll share it with you!  Today I made Sweetheart Trail Mix & Streusel Mini Muffins.


Trail Mix seemed like a safe project to start with, very little can go wrong with mixing things together.   It was a snack staple at my home as a kid, usually a combination of various nuts, raisins and one sweet treat.  My dad used m&m’s, but I used candy hearts.  I mixed the ingredients together and divided it into five portions.  It’s ridiculously easy!  All the ingredients were purchased at ALDI:
-         1 bag sunflower seeds (5 oz)
-         1/2 can party peanuts (8 oz)
-         1/2 bag of whole almonds (12 oz)
-         1/2 box of raisins (7.5 oz)
-         1 bag of mixed fruit (6 oz)
-         1 box of candy hearts (1 oz)






The streusel muffins are actually a box mix from my 
mother in law- a GIANT box of Cinnabon Streusel from Cosco.  Since I don’t bake a lot of coffee cake (or really bake anything, for that matter), the enormous box had been looming in my cupboard since Halloween.   I experimented with the mix by making mini muffins in tiny valentines baking cups.  I used half the ingredients, mixed dried cranberries in the batter and added ground flax seed to the streusel topping to give the muffins more nutrition.  I baked them for 15 min and threw a bit of pink food coloring into the glaze packet to make them festive. They are yummy and adorable.



I stole my friend Crystal’s idea (from Pinterest) to divide all the food into plastic bags for quick lunch packing.  I love looking at the things she has on Pinterest.  She finds some of the greatest ideas to post on her boards, this one is good for children’s lunches and husband’s.













No comments:

Post a Comment